Steeped in history, Castletown House in Co. Kildare is Ireland’s largest and earliest Palladian style house. It was built between 1722 and 1729 for William Conolly, Speaker of the Irish House of Commons, in whose family it remained until 1965. This magnificent country house is now in the ownership of the Irish State under the governance of the Office of Public Works. While the house had undergone some renovation previously, the OPW began extensive renovation and conservation works in the 1990’s.
Callaghan Engineering were appointed as the Mechanical & Electrical (including lift) Engineering Services Consultants for the refurbishment & conservation of Castletown House. The ground and first floors are designed to Museum Environment Quality, Class 2.
This project involved the design and installation of mechanical and electrical systems to conserve the fabric of the house and the artifacts displayed and stored therein. This required the design of a low-tech environmental system to control the relative humidity and temperature within the house, a building management system, discrete lighting and controls to effect low UV levels and colour rendering and smoke detection throughout, including a VESDA system. Museum grade HVAC requirements are maintained in a number of rooms. Within the building, ventilation ductwork was routed through the existing chimney flues with air handling units built into the top of the chimneys.
Today, Castletown House and it’s gardens are open to the public, and it remains one the finest examples of it’s type to be found anywhere in Europe.